World Youth Forum On Elections And Peace (WYFEP)
Preparing a generation of national and global leaders
Washington DC – U.S.A. Date: TBA
Early birth registration $300.
With a global population of over 1.8 billion people, youth are the world’s greatest untapped resource, possessing the talents and ambition to overcome society’s biggest challenges. The World Youth Forum for Elections and Peace is a platform to elevate the voices of youths in international dialogues, empower young people to be ambassadors of democracy, run for office, and mobilize a future generation of leaders to promote and sustain global peace. Youths are more educated, active and connected than ever before. They have high aspirations for the future. They can be a powerful force for the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The participation of young people is of vital importance to achieving the Agenda 2030 and its Sustainable Development Goals.
The Forum presents a unique opportunity for youth from all over the world to meet, discuss common regional and thematic issues, and form partnerships and plans for future collaboration. Regional Commitment Round Tables (RCRT) will be held at the end of the Forum allowing participants to connect and begin forming partnerships to address democracy and peace issues specific to their regions. The resolutions of each RCRT will form a vital working tool for USICES programs in defining its support to promote youth engagement decision-making processes.
The objective of the World Youth Forum for Elections, and Peace (WYFEP) is to review novel initiatives and approaches which can enhance democratic practices, engage youths in electoral processes and provide innovative methods for youth participation in promoting and sustaining global peace in the 21st century digital world. A unique event of its kind, it deals with challenges facing democracy taking as a starting point innovative initiatives and practice, and fostering debate among young people in order to find SOLUTIONS. The Forum highlights and encourages democratic innovation to strengthen the foundations of democratic societies. A democratic exercise in itself, the Forum aims at giving young people – demos – their rightful place in political decision-making. It thus contributes to the evolution of democracy towards more participatory and inclusive structures and institutions.
- Delegates must be aged 18-30 (except applying as an observer);
- Application is open citizens from any country;
- Be able to communicate and work in English;
- Be actively involved in civil society or activism in democracy and peace initiatives;
- Demonstrate a motivation to contribute to developing new ideas on youth, democracy, and peace;
- Demonstrate the readiness to share own challenges faced in accessing election processes;
- Be ready to adopt a solution-oriented approach by bringing in new ideas and visions on the question of elections and peace;
- Be available to participate fully in the World Youth Network and serve as a Youth Ambassador for Democracy and Global Peace;
- Be able to finance your trip to the United States.
All applicants must download and fill the application form. Send your application to email@example.com and attached a copy of their photo and a pdf copy of their passport. Once an application is approved, an email will be sent to the applicant with further instructions about payment and visa application (for foreign applicants).
The four (4) days event will consist of three (3) sessions daily (morning, afternoon, and evening sessions) including an opening and a closing/award ceremony. Sessions are interactive, allowing participants to share their experience, ignite debate, and reach innovative solutions to challenges facing young people across the globe. Each day of the event will be dedicated to one thematic area; youths and democracy, youths and elections, and youth as key actors in promoting global peace.
Participants will have the opportunity to listen from and engage with renowned figures in the United States; former U.S. Ambassadors and federal officials, officials from the White House, the Department of States, the United Nations, the United States Congress, and officials from leading international organizations engaged in promoting democracy, transparent and inclusive elections, and advancing global peace.
Part of the program is dedicated to a visit to the United States Congress, State Congress of Maryland and Virginia, including a courtesy visit to the Mayor of Washington DC. Participants will also have the opportunity to meet with their peers in the United States and form networks to enhance the exchange of information, promote the youth agenda, and maintain a platform for engagement and sustained advocacy. A detailed program of the event will be published two months before the start date.
Youth Ambassador’s Award
Shortlisted candidates will be selected from the list of registered youth delegates of the 2019 World Youth Forum for Elections and Peace.
After a rigorous selection process, ten (10) Outstanding Youth Delegates will be identified out of the shortlisted candidates and will be awarded at the closing session. Each of the winners will be awarded the unique opportunity to speak on the stage regarding their commitment to one of the thematic areas; Democracy, Elections and Global Peace and will be highlighted on the event website and various social media platforms.
All applicants should answer the required questionnaire (Part 2 on the application form) carefully and to the best of their ability. To be eligible, the applicant should be 18-30 years old as of September 23, 2019, and have been accepted as a delegate for the current session of the event.
Responses to the questionnaire will be reviewed and evaluated based on the applicant’s unique perspective, demonstrated understanding and commitment towards one of the thematic areas; Democracy, Elections, and Peace. The Award Committee will identify and select the top most promising questionnaire submissions out of all accepted delegate applications.
Shortlisted candidates will be informed and provided further instructions via email in August 2019. Candidates will have to show evidence that supports their application during the next round of selection. All candidates will then undergo the first round of interviews to assess the skills, experience, and achievements of each candidate. Only a few will be contacted after observing the participation of the shortlisted candidates for a final interview, which will culminate in the selection of the 10 winners.
Who qualities for a Youth Ambassador’s Award
A Youth Ambassador’s Award candidate should:
- Have a demonstrated understanding and commitment towards one of the three thematic areas; Democracy, Elections, and Global Peace;
- Have charisma and exceptional public speaking skills;
- Demonstrate great self-awareness and a desire for self-improvement and learning;
- Possess integrity and have a good reputation within and outside his/her community;
- Exemplify excellent leadership capabilities with proven experience of playing an active role towards one of the three thematic areas; Democracy, Elections, and Peace Promotion;
- Have unparalleled experience working with various sectors or organizations towards serving and improving his/her community, as well as promoting democratic accountability and global peace;
- Have proven track record of exceptional achievements related to youth engagement and social action;
- Possess remarkable potential in contributing to promoting youth participation in one of the three thematic areas; Democracy, Elections, and Peace Promotion.